Call Center Purgatory <$BlogRSDURL$>
Call Center Purgatory
Friday, March 26, 2004
  Just a girl.....



Definition of Prestige:Social respect accorded to an individual or group because of the status of their position. Applies to gender, race, religion, and other social factors.

One of my coworkers has been very frustrated lately with management and customers. She went to the general manager to explain how the floor manager is not listening to her, becomes verbally abusive from time to time, and how he is not willing to listen to customer complaints. She was not taken seriously and treated like "just a girl". The other day someone called in with a problem and she proceeded to help them and started asking technical questions to solve the problem. The caller(a man) would not listen to her and insisted on speaking to me, and saying in so many words that I knew more than she did because I was a man.

What's really a shame is that she has more technical knowledge than I do, and is equally, possibly more intelligent than me. She is more efficient than I am, I know that for a fact. But I have less problems dealing with management and customers because I am a man. At one point I spoke to management about the very same problem that she had pointed out, and they listened to me and did something.

When I was a kid, I thought that predjudice didn't exist toward gender and minorities, now that I am an adult, I know better. Most of the managers are all men here, and they are Good Ol' Boys. I know how to fit in and speak their language, but it makes me feel bad that my coworker cant get ahead when she has such a good work ethic and tries hard to do a good job.

 
Comments: Post a Comment





Exploring the mind numbing insanity and childish corporate culture of an unknown call center employee.
________________

Purgatory: A place of suffering and torment with an unknown duration. In Roman Catholic Theology-the place where the dead are purified from their sins.
________________

Email:anonymous.cog at gmail.com
________________

"One must know oneself, if this does not serve to discover truth, it at least serves as a rule of life, and there is nothing better." -Blaise Pascal
________________

The Cog is listening to:
"Wake Up"
By Rage Against The Machine
________________

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Here's my RSS(XML Atom) feed

Visit Anonymous Cog's other site: Poverty,Politics,and Faith

Call Centre

________________

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." -George Orwell

________________

ARCHIVES
February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / December 2006 / August 2007 / September 2007 / September 2011 / October 2020 / August 2021 /


Powered by Blogger