Call Center Purgatory <$BlogRSDURL$>
Call Center Purgatory
Wednesday, June 22, 2005
  "One Dollar and Eighty-Three Cents"

One dollar and eighty-three cents...

That's all I had for the rest of the week after I paid for tolls and coffee.

Today had robbed me of my good humor and left me with an overwhelming desire to know why people from Newark, NJ* should be allowed to breed, let alone do business. All I had left to restore my sagging spirits was one dollar and eighty-three cents.

My baser instincts kicked in, and I started thinking about food. For a junk food aficionado such as myself, I was sure I could come up with something to change this foul mood. Then it hit me, Speedway! Last time I filled up, I saw the sign, "Two Hot Dogs For 99 Cents!" and "Any Size Fountain Drink 69 cents!". It would mean taking the long way home, but I was ready for some "me" time.

Once I got to the store I went "hard-core", and got the 44 oz. drink. Diet Coke with a hint of Regular Coke and a dash of Sprite to liven it up, I felt like I was 11 again making a “suicide big gulp”. Then I started assembling the hot dogs; onions, relish, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, everything that was free and in little packets except for the hot sauce and non-dairy creamer. I grabbed a handful of napkins and headed for the car.

When I finally bit into the dogs, it was like magic. I know, I know, you're saying, "What magic? These are the cheapest, unhealthiest kind of food that was ever produced from the naughty bits of a pig!". But you'd be wrong, dead wrong! Somehow, the most magic and delicious pair of hot dogs ever put on a hot roller had ended up in my possession. It was like the holy grail of divine pork products had been discovered, and I was the one that the gods had smiled on. The casing was firm, but not too chewy, and there was real flavor. It was better than a kosher beef dog, and almost approaching the beauty and subtlety of a bratwurst. The bun was warm and fresh, with a sweetness that reminded me of Hawaiian bread. If I had paid six dollars at a ball park for these, I would not have felt cheated, they were that good. I headed along the back roads listening to "All Things Considered" and my finally turning on The Talking Heads, Linkin Park and some vintage U2.

As I turned up the road to my house, I popped a mint to freshen my breath and hide the evidence of a pre-dinner snack. Mrs. Cog does not approve of such revelry so close to her fabulous meals. I realized two things at this point, it doesn't take much to make a bad day better, and 44 ounces of pop is way too much to drink at one time. I ran for the door....

Thanks for reading,

AC


*If you’re from Newark and are offended by this, you must be a transplant. People from New Jersey know how to take a joke…

 
Comments:
Entertaining blog you've got here. :) Great solution on the cheap food, and even better choice of radio listening!
 
Post a Comment





Exploring the mind numbing insanity and childish corporate culture of an unknown call center employee.
________________

Purgatory: A place of suffering and torment with an unknown duration. In Roman Catholic Theology-the place where the dead are purified from their sins.
________________

Email:anonymous.cog at gmail.com
________________

"One must know oneself, if this does not serve to discover truth, it at least serves as a rule of life, and there is nothing better." -Blaise Pascal
________________

The Cog is listening to:
"Wake Up"
By Rage Against The Machine
________________

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Here's my RSS(XML Atom) feed

Visit Anonymous Cog's other site: Poverty,Politics,and Faith

Call Centre

________________

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." -George Orwell

________________

ARCHIVES
February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / December 2006 / August 2007 / September 2007 / September 2011 / October 2020 / August 2021 /


Powered by Blogger